Wednesday, June 30, 2010

wow!

Being the primary secretary allows me time to sit in the hall on Sundays and read the Ensign. I was blown away by an article in the June issue that talked about good use of the internet. The following statement changed me. I am devoted to being fully present in the moment and living in the moment.

Limit Your Time
Rebecca Renfroe, from Idaho, USA, used to blog and read others’ blogs almost daily. Her mind was always in “compose” mode—mentally writing a blog about what she did with her children instead of just doing things with them. She realized there had to be a balance.
She says, “The Spirit helped me to recognize that having a blog was not the problem—devoting too much of my time and energy to it was. I had literally been giving portions of my life away: trading away quality time with my children and my husband, trading away time for serious, in-depth study of the scriptures, and even trading away hours of sleep that affected my ability to serve others, to be sensitive to the Spirit, and to maintain a healthy lifestyle.”
Sister Renfroe learned not to let good things get in the way of better things, as Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles counseled: “Just because something is good is not a sufficient reason for doing it. … Of course it is good to view wholesome entertainment or to obtain interesting information. But not everything of that sort is worth the portion of our life we give to obtain it. Some things are better, and others are best.”1

3 comments:

Tamie said...

wow! good artiel linds --- glad that you read it :)
it is true...my sister actually posted about this very thing --- she wanted to make sure that the computer/internet wasn't getting in the way of good, quality time with her kids...when her 3rd came she seriously cut back her blogging and everything else....it is good to be reminded that good things aren't always the best things in our lives.

Michelle said...

Love it! But, one question....how on earth do you have time to sit out in the hall and read being in the Primary Presidency??? Hilarious! YOu are a lucky girl! Loves!

Zach, Jen, Elizabeth & Summer said...

Congrats on the calling! I'm the secretary in our primary too, but I don't seem to find time to read in the hall - my extra time is taken up by Elizabeth. :) I seriously love my calling though, isn't it the best?!